5.16.2008

MANAGING PROBLEMS

Hello everybody, I want to tell you something that I have experienced during the practice teaching. At the kindergarten, there is a classroom teacher, and a classroom nurse except for the other teachers. The classroom nurse stays in the classroom all the day with the children, and cares for them.One day, our mentor teacher, Ersin, and I entered the classroom and the classroom teacher was still there. Our mentor teacher, Olgu Hoca, began her teaching. However, the classroom teacher and the nurse were talking to each other, not whispering, and laughing time to time. This distracted both the students and the teacher, it even distracted us. At last, Olgu Hoca stopped, and we were shocked. We thought that she was going to say something to the teacher and the nurse. However, she said in Turkish, to the students, 'Can you see? There are one, two, three, four, and me, five teachers in the classroom and you are still talking... Now, be silent and listen to me...' The classroom teacher and the nurse were really ashamed, and they stopped talking...This is a good method, and I told it to you so that you can use if you need :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Özlem,

I've been teaching English for about 5 years and seen very different learner characteristics so far. What I've derived out of these years is that every student is different and each day you may experience something really unexpected or strange. In my opinion, we should try to make our students aware that we are not criticizing their personalities but their deeds or actions. One way is to give feedback collectively or criticize the group not the individual students in front of their friends.

Byeee

Özlem KARAAĞAÇ said...

Thank you for your comment :))