3.26.2008

Going Mad Means This :))

All of the students at the grades I see (the preschool children) have a problem with 'a'. They like it very much and use it everywhere. They say ‘I can see a three clowns’, ‘I can see a two flowers’ etc. during one of the courses, the teacher tried to correct this, result?? Let’s see :).

The teacher asked the students repeat the sentence ‘I can see three balloons’ as they circle the three balloons on their books. The students began: ‘I can see a three balloons’. The teacher repeated the correct type, it did not work. She told them that ‘You should say like this, I can see three balloons, not ‘a’ all right? Repeat after me, I can see three balloons’. At first, several students used the correct type, but the rest did not. And in the second repetition, the whole class said ‘a’. The teacher looked at us, about to go mad…

She explained them ‘All right, everybody, listen to me carefully please, you should not say ‘a’ there, because ‘a’ means ‘one’ but this is not ‘one’ this is 2three’ ok? You should say ‘I can see three balloons’’ ‘now repeat after me, I can see three balloons’. The students said ok, to everything, but when it came to repetition part, all of them used ‘a’.

Then, at last, the teacher explained everything in Turkish. The students said all right, and began to repeat correctly. Then, one of them said ‘a’, in the following repetition several of them used ‘a’, and in the third one, all of them.

Just think about the teacher :) …

2 comments:

Ersin İnci said...

It is quite interesting isn't it.yes, poor teacher, but as we had talked the problem is most probably the age of the students:they just can 't grasp the difference...

Sibel Korkmazgil said...

Özlem,

when you teach Englsh, you'll come across several forms of fossilization. As you know, the reasons of fossilization may vary. (L1 interfernce, language transfer, age, metalanguage awareness, etc.) Just remember the pronunciation of "determine or because" among advance learners of English. No matter they know how to pronounce them correctly, they keep making mistakes. It takes time, I guess :)) Besides, if you consider the U-shape development of learner language (I mean, the interlanguage), it's likely to see similar mistakes along the way.

In order not to make these mistakes fossilized for those children, we should deal with them with great care especially in the initial stage..

I wish you and other English teachers with these problems and mistakes.

Keep trying,